Friday, October 16, 2009

Zucchini Bread and Quiche Lorraine

Another re-post. I didn't actually say much in the original post except to give the recipes, so I'll just do that here:

Zucchini Bread
I make this all the time and can eat a whole loaf on my own probably all at once, even though I shouldn't.

3 eggs well beaten (fluffy)
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup veg. oil
2 cup sugar
3 cup flour
3 t cinnamon
2 t vanilla
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder

1. Grease loaf pans
2. Add zucchini, eggs, oil & vanilla to mixing bowl.
3. Add sugar and mix well.
4. Add remaining ing. (flour, salt, etc) and mix well.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour

Quiche Lorraine
I've made this several times as well and think it's a very good recipe for quiche. I even though it was better than the quiche I had at Eliane's, but that's just me.

Dough
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 t salt
10 T butter, cut into chunx
1 egg

1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Add butter and mix to coat w/ fingers or pastry blender, rubbing or cutting butter into flour until you have fine particles (I find fingers are better).
2. Add egg and stir with fork (or fingers) until dough holds together (it will be very crumbly, so don't expect too much)
3. Shape dough into ball and roll out onto (very!) WELL floured board. Roll to fit a 10-inch pie pan, and put it in there. Make dough flush with top rim, folding excess dough against pan sides (inside, not out obviously) and press firmly in place.

Quiche
10 slices cooked, chopped bacon (I use fakin and it's a little chewy, but pork meat generally makes me ill, so that's just my preference)
1 1/4 cups diced Swiss or Gruyere cheese (Swiss is softer and therefore easier to cut)
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups whipping or light cream
1/2 cup milk

1. Scatter bacon in pastry shell; sprinkle with cheese.
2. Beat eggs to blend with cream and milk. Pour into pastry. Grate some nutmeg on the top.
3. Place on lowest rack in 350* heat oven (*=degrees) until lightly browned on top (55 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes. Serve cold or hot.

5 comments:

LP said...

I need to go eat breakfast...

Shannon said...

go. eat. maybe when you come up I'll make you breakfast.

LP said...

I look forward to it!

Jared and Megan said...

!

Shannon said...

?