Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

It's really cold outside.  It needs soup.  And so came out this recipe from Pioneer Woman.

If you're worried about the alcohol not getting cooked off, just keep the heat on a bit longer after you put in the cooking wine, and wait to put in the cream until after you turn off the heat.  There are non-alcoholic replacements for sherry if you're very particular, but they don't taste near the same and I don't know what they are.

I served this with hot garlic bread.  It was all very tasty and warmed us all up.  And we have a little extra for another time, bonus!

So yum.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
from Pioneer Woman Cooks

6 Tbsp melted butter

1 whole medium onion, diced

1 bottle (46 oz) tomato juice (I couldn't find one so got a bigger one and have extra)

2 cans (14 oz each) diced tomatoes

1 Tbsp chicken base (I couldn't find this either, so I just dissolved I think 6 boulion cubes in 1T water

3 Tbsp (or up to six if you want) sugar

1 pinch salt

black pepper to taste

1 cup cooking sherry (I used white cooking wine because that's what we had, but it's really the same)

1 1/2 cup heavy cream

chopped fresh parsley

chopped fresh basil


1. Sautee onions in butter until translucent.

Pre-cream and basil
2. Add canned tomatoes, tomato juice, chicken base, sugar, salt, pepper, and stir.

3. Bring to a near boil, then turn off heat.  Add in sherry and cream and stir. (Or see my previous statement)

4. Add in parsley and basil to taste.
Yay greens

Serve it up hot!

Hungry men.  No leftover bread.

No comments: