Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Coconut Curry

This year has been one of enjoying new foods. Up until last night I have not really liked curry much at all, but my friend Megan made some delicious vegetarian curry that I absolutely LOVED.

I was a little worried about the apples, but they turned out tart and delicious (though a little too soft, but maybe that's because we didn't know the potatoes would take so long to cook). I was also concerned about the excessive amount of onion, but seriously they were so good after being imbued with coconut for however long. I was eating them by the spoonful by the end.
Here's the recipe (sorry, I didn't think to take pictures, I didn't know it would be as amazing as it was):

Coconut Milk Curry
from friend Megan, who got it from another person, who recited it from memory

2 potatoes
2 apples
2 carrots
1 sweet onion
1 cup water
1 can coconut milk
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Large pinch of salt
Large pinch of black pepper

Put everything but apples and coconut milk in a pot. Bring to a boil. Turn down to medium and add the apples and coconut milk. Simmer until potatoes are soft, at least half an hour, maybe more. We didn't time it because we just waited for them to be soft.

Serve with white rice!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Sounds yummy! I'm still skeptical about onions though... I can't believe you were eating them by the spoonful!

LP said...

This sounds pretty easy. I may even try it myself. But you still have to make some for me.

Shannon said...

you're right megan, I lied, it was by the forkful. But honestly.
and mom, yes, I will :)