Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sandwiches

One thing I really loved about England was the great variety of delicious sandwiches available. They totally kick American sandwiches to the curb. Peanut butter and jelly? Psh. Try asparagus, basil, rocket, and goat cheese on an artisan baguette. Delish.

Today I was missing good food, so my roommate and I made a trip to the farmer's market and picked up some ingredients for our own yummy sandwiches. Hers had salami, turkey, pepper jack cheese, myzithera cheese, red bell pepper, zucchini, and apples, buttered and fried (basically, everything but the kitchen sink). Mine had soft goat cheese, basil, and zucchini lightly sauteed in olive oil. Both our sandwiches were on a multigrain baguette. I can't say I was transported back to England by the sandwich, but it was definitely one of the best I've ever made.
I think I'll make a goat cheese and basil omelette with the leftover goods. Mmm?

1 comment:

LP said...

Sounds yummy. Do you want to cook for me again? Either that or I'll have to go back to England.